Montgomery County Treasurer
December 08, 2020
We recommend you pay your property and vehicle renewal (tag) taxes online. It's easy, fast and safe. Online payment options include Discover Card, MasterCard, Visa, American Express and eCheck - an electronic transfer of funds from your bank account to the County bank account.
Montgomery County Office Information
Send an email
Phone: (712) 623-3292
Fax: (712) 623-9753
Montgomery County Courthouse
105 E. Coolbaugh Street
Red Oak, IA 51566
Property Tax & Driver's License located in SW corner of the main lobby of the courthouse. Motor Vehicle located on the east side.
Property Tax Department
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Motor Vehicle Department
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:15 PM
Driver's License Department
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Thursdays ONLY 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM, By Appointment Only
Montgomery County Treasurers' Office
105 E. Coolbaugh Street, PO Box 469
Red Oak, IA 51566
County Treasurer - Jackie Porter
Motor Vehicle Deputy – Heather Deitering
Motor Vehicle Deputy – Dana Stephens
Property Tax Deputy – Karen Miller
Driver’s License Deputy – Tammy Hall
The office is closed on the following dates:
- New Year's Day - Friday, January 1, 2021
- Presidents Day - Monday, February 15, 2021
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 31, 2021
- Independence Day - Monday, July 5, 2021 (Observed)
- Labor Day - Monday, September 6, 2021
- Veteran's Day - Thursday, November 11, 2021
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 25, 2021
- Day after Thanksgiving - Friday, November 26, 2021
- Christmas Eve Day - Thursday, December 23, 2021 (Observed)
- Christmas Day - Friday, December 24, 2021 (Observed)
- New Year's Day - Friday, December 31, 2021 (Observed)
Property taxes are collected by the Treasurer's office in two installments. The first installment is due by September 30th and the second installment is due by March 31st. Taxes being collected are for the previous tax year which spans July 1 through June 30.
Tax statements are mailed in August of each year. If you do not receive a statement please contact this office.
Tax Sale Redemptions can not be paid online.
PROPERTY TAX FORMS
Browse common Property Tax related forms Property Tax Forms
Vehicle registration renewals can be processed during the calendar month before expiration month, the calendar month of expiration, or the calendar month after the expiration month without penalty.
The Motor Vehicle office is located in the East Treasurer's office. This is the office where vehicle titles and registrations are issued. Hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with the county treasurer's office in your county within 30 days from the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though your license plates may still be valid in another state.
ORDER PERSONALIZED AND SPECIALTY PLATES ONLINE
The Iowa DOT website allows you to personalize your license plate, check availability, and reserve it. If it is available and approved, your plates will be manufactured and delivered to the county treasurer's office in the county where you live. You will be notified when the plates are ready to be picked up.
Browse common Title/Registration and related forms Vehicle Forms
Driver's License Services
The Drivers License office is located in the West Treasurer's office. This is the office where drivers license's are issued. Hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Written testing is available during the hours of 8:00 to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Over-the-road skills testing is available on Thursdays by appointment only.
MYMVD - IOWA DOT ONLINE SERVICES
MyMVD is a website provided by the Iowa DOT for individuals with current Iowa driver’s license (DL) or identification cards (ID) who are eligible to complete services and obtain information and records online. Enter just a few details about yourself (Name, Date of Birth, Last 5 of SSN and DL/ID number), to log into your account and to utilize the online features.
Iowa DOT Online Services Include:
- Renewal of your Iowa driver’s license/ID card
- Check the status of your Iowa driver’s license/ID card request
- Order specialty and personalized plates
- Email reminder when it’s time to renew your Iowa driver’s license/ID card
- Update your mailing address with Iowa DOT
- View your non-certified driving record
- Purchase a certified copy of your driving record
- View the requirements to reinstate your driver’s license
- Pay civil penalties
- Register to vote
DRIVER SERVICES FORMS
Browse common Driver's License Service forms Driver Services Forms